More than 20 million vehicles cross the border between Canada and the United States. There are several free publications that provide “Know Before You Go” information and border travel tips.
For detailed information, visit the Immigration & Naturalization Service web site at http://www.uscis.gov or visit the US Customs web site at http://cbp.gov. For detailed information on Canadian Customs, visit the web site www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.
Some travel tips suggested for motorists crossing the border:
• You must have a passport for proof of citizenship as well as parents’ letters for children traveling with friends
• Keep items & receipts ready for inspection
• Be flexible as regulations governing travel are subject to adjustment
If traveling by boat:
• Remember to call ahead to Canada/US Customs office to learn if your port is accessible
• Know your reporting requirements
US Customs: 315-482-2261
Canadian Customs: 613-659-2301
Alexandria Bay Coast Guard Station: 315-482-2574
US Border Patrol: 315-482-7556